Monday, March 9, 2009

We have lost our military family and Dan graduates

Like everything in life...nothing goes as planned. Dan was to graduate from Airborne School on Friday but because of "so called" airplane problems and I say "so called" because the Air Force checked everything out and said after hours and hours that these service men and women were waiting with their packs on, they finally said, "nothing was wrong,"  all their jumps could not be completed. So they had two jumps left on Friday (one being at night) and with graduation on Saturday morning. 

Dan's folks got there at the jump zone around 12:30 and we were closer to 2:30. We were there until between 5:30 - 6:00 PM waiting to see Dan. Of course from the distance and there were app. 500 doing these jumps, there was no way we would even be able to pick Dan out but was waiting for him where they all were coming in. FINALLY Dan came, he was in the last group. 

Dan wasn't able to go out to dinner with us because he had to do the night jump yet, but we hung out with his mom and dad and went to Applebees for a real nice meal. Everyone was tired and a little sun burnt that we parted ways right after dinner until graduation.

Jay and Jessica dropped me, Mabry and the two pups off at the hotel before going to the PX. I thought I could get Mabry to sleep but the girl must have gotten her second wind (too bad gamma didn't get that same wind). We were able to get her Pack and Play half way into the closet so that maybe the light of the TV wouldn't bother her so much; who were we kidding... apparently ourselves. First there was a group of rowdy guys making all kinds of noise that I thought I might have to give the front desk a call but then they left. So let's try again to get Mabry to sleep. Just when you think she is dozing off (by that I mean she laid down and closed her eyes) she would "spring" up and giggle. She thought this was a game. I wish I would have thought to have taken pictures. Darn it. 

Anyhow... we all finally went to bed, we were asleep about two hours and Jessica screams, "get it off me," I jumped up from bed about the same time Jay jumped out of bed and here she was dreaming the ceiling was falling on her. Got back to sleep, then Mabry cried. Got back to sleep and then some women (with very loud voices) were yelling at each other saying, "don't  you tell me my husband's cheating on me," and the pups started to bark. Got back to sleep and at this point I think I was probably in a comatose state as my husband said Jessica screamed again and Jessica said she never heard her father snore so loud.... I heard none of it.

Well back to the post...

Here are some of the guys and gals dropping in the field. We heard some broke their foot and one his arm.


Graduation morning was foggy and misty. Here is the graduation class, which consisted of all branches of the service.

Dan standing with his group

Here is Dan's dad pinning his wings on.

The Happy military family

Dan with his mom and dad.

After all was said and done we headed back towards Atlanta and we were treated by Dan and Jessica to a wonderful meal at Pappadeaux's. If you have never ate at one and you love seafood you need to try it. This was Dan's parents first time eating there and they loved it.

The kids came back to our house to gather up the last of their things and head to their new home in Fayetteville, NC. In a few days Jessica will probably have some more pictures of graduation day, so go check them out here.

Dan and Jessica,

Thank you for an absolutely wonderful meal. 

We love you both (Mabry too) and Dan, we are very proud of you.

1 comment:

Linda said...

You must be one proud mom...congratulations to your SIL (and your daughter too!)

It will be hard with your little princess in NC. You'll be in my thoughts over the days to come.