Monday, July 20, 2009

Christmas in July

If you are a follower of Rue's blog, Rue's Peanut Butter and Jelly Life, then you might remember when she painted some birdhouses for her dining table for Christmas last year. I will remind you, so please go here to check them out (you will have to scroll a little ways down to see them but they are worth the scroll). Then you can go here to see how they look on her dining room table but only after you scroll through their cookie making and some fantastic decorations first, but again, worth the scroll.

Now on to the "post" title...

For many Christmases I would do a theme but for about 10 years now our tree has been pretty much the same 'ole... same 'ole and this past Christmas I wanted to do an outdoor type theme to our tree and some decorating and with that said...

The "theme" to change up the decorating is BACK.

After Christmas my girls pointed me in the direction of Cracker Barrel, yeah... Cracker Barrel of all places to find that "new" Christmas green, well it has been around for awhile but I have always been L-A-T-E at everything. When I am ready to get into the swing of the trend, the trend is going ouuuuuut.

I thought about the birdhouses that Rue did (a light bulb going off moment) and that they would be ever so cute on my table in that "new" Christmas green, red and white.

Here are the ones I chose and I got them from Hobby Lobby and Jo Anne's. I know I paid less than $10.00 for all of them.
The "new" Christmas green looked great in the bottle... BUT... WAIT...

Did Dr. Seuss just land? Doesn't that green make you think of a color in The Grinch Who Stole Christmas? I think it could glow in the dark... really.


Tried to give it a "white wash" effect but that looked... well... awful.



Finally.... after much mixing, stirring and blending I thought I may have come up with a color I could work with. Did I make enough of it...
Nah... and so for the other piece that I did green, I had to mix, stir, blend and pray.


I thought I was done with the painting and decided they needed something else.


Yup... some snow and a few wreaths. A bird wouldn't hurt either but I can't hardly make a stick person look good, so unless I can find an itty bitty bird to glue to one of the perches, there ain't gonna be no bird. And this is what it will look like come Christmas on my table but with the birdhouses sitting on some snow... maybe even mirrors and snow.


Now some would say I am a P-R-O-G-R-A-S-T-I-N-A-T-O-R for waiting 7 months to tackle this little project but I tend to think of myself as "I am way ahead of the game because I am 5 months early." What do you think?



2 comments:

Sarah said...

They are adorable! I have always admired Rue's birdhouses and yours are beautiful as well! I like the shade of green that you ended up with. :)

jennifer said...

The whole time I was thinking "man Aunt Cheri sure is doing this kind of early". I love them they will look great on your table in 5 months :)