We called the Humane Society VP whom we are acquainted with, and she got right on the horn with information to put out about the Great Dane pup. She also called volunteers who "foster" dogs until a home can be found. With it being the Thanksgiving holiday, we still have this sweet girl until probably some time today.
The VP, Cheryl, said that she is not going to have her go to the Humane Society, because as good as they try to be to find homes for these pets, they do not have the capacity to house many and so after 5 days they are put down. We all agreed we did not want that to happen to her and that would have been the case if we had not decided to keep her until her foster mom could get her. So as a plea from me to all of you... if you find a stray and can possibly house it until it can go to a foster/rescue home, it will probably save their life.
Cheryl told us we needed to give her a name and start calling her that since she had no collar or tags (obviously) and I thought she looked like a Maggie. Don't ask me why.
After church we bought her some HUGE raw hide bones and hubby couldn't resist a HUGE meat bone too, plus a brand spank'n new red collar. (It is the Christmas season...Ho Ho Ho)
I didn't know the protocol when you take in a stray pup but was told that she will go to a dog salon and get bathed (we know this gal, Traci and she does this for all stray, rescue dogs that are brought in... God Bless her) and there are two vets that reduce their fees to spay/neuter the pets plus will update her on shots and check out the wounds on her neck. This is a great relief. I didn't know (because we found her) if we endured these costs but was told "no," that when folks adopt a pet from them, the fee for adopting goes to off set these costs.
PLEASE ADOPT A PET FROM A RESCUE OR HUMANE SOCIETY.
6 comments:
Finally getting to catch up on blog reading. Looks like you and Jay had a fun week with getting ready for company and a pup too:) We had a busy, tiring and very fun time at my house. I'm content with the return of "quiet" for right now:)
Oh Cheri, bless you! You are such an awesome lady for taking in that dog. I have such a soft spot for dogs, I would take them all in if I had enough room. :-)
PHEW!!! When I read yesterday's post my heart skipped a couple beats in fear the pup would be put down. Kudos to people like you who care and only want the best for our furry friends! Good luck in finding some loving parents for your big guy!!!
We always get our cats that way.
I love the NOEL you made and those mittens too!
That is so wonderful of you to take care of Maggie until you can find her a foster home. I would do the same thing. We got Tupelo from a rescue shelter - they end up being the best dogs with the greatest personalities!! i truly hope someone can take her, otherwise, I might have to start convincing Marsh that Tupe needs a playmate... :-)
Oh I am so glad you didn't send her to the Humane Society. You are such a blessing to her to feed her and take care of her until she gets a foster family. We ended up with the kitten Midnight that way. We just couldn't take such a sweet, sweet baby to be killed! I say those of us that help stray animals are angels on earth!!
Post a Comment